Monday, September 3, 2012

Capstone Ideas



8-28-12
     It has been my dream to break into the gaming industry with my art!  But as my Herron career came to a close, I was learning just well I am at some of this programming stuff!  Since those baby steps into new Media I have had a burning desire.  I’ve always wanted to make a game that I had fun playing.  And back in the day, I remember passing the stick around the room as we watched each other getting are faces hadoken’d (And YES I’m using it as a VERB!) in. 
One of my favorite genres was the fighting genre (aka the button masher) Street Fighter, tekken, Final Fight (Side scrolling counts for me) Scott Pilgrim, Shenmue, Tales of Destiny or whatever they are calling themselves now, etc … But I always felt the games as a whole have done nothing unique or inspirational.  My fiancĂ© hates them and says that they are boring.  On the outside looking in yes, all you see is one guy mashing wildly as King(from tekken) continually throws him to death.  Or you watch helplessly as your juggled to death. 
On the inside of the player,  it’s exciting battle as the throwee frantically searches for the right button press to counter and break out of King’s holds.  To a Tekken master, all it requires is a two button press at the right time instantly free themselves.  This counter system is something that is lacking to create a ‘true’ fighting game.  Tekken attempted it, where whoever landed a hit first could capture their helpless play in an in-escapable combo. Other games have tried, but I felt that it was too complex or not complex enough.
 One of my goals for my capstone game is to create a nice balance of reversals, counters, which anyone can do.  And I want to attempt to make those reversible as well… closer to a true kung fu or karate sport. 
I know what I want to use and how to create it.  But I have been struggling with a story for this.  I have characters that are fleshed out, and a villain, but I don’t have the story fleshed out yet.  I was hoping for a bit of advice and help on where I can go with this.  I was wondering if I could do a pole and see what you guys think:

1# I did want to do an old school one vs. one, but as my fiancĂ© pointed out (who hates fighting games… boring, dumb plots.  But that is what I want to change) I want to do it, but again I feel it dry for a capstone.  I’m mainly lacking a good story for this one.

2# A side scrolling beat’em up w Super heroes.  (I still like this idea, but it goes against my philosophy of a simple, traditional fighting game.)   But this offers tons of opportunity for unique mini games and flash animation and I have been leaning towards this way.  I already have a cast w 6 playable and some background and story taking place in Indianapolis.  (I can explain this further in another blog cause this will be more than 500+ words)
http://awesomekyzoku.blogspot.com/2012/09/rules-and-ideas-for-super-hero-fighting.html

3# I also had an Idea of using the fight ‘engine’ for another game I invented when I was 12 called Battle Clue.  Basically, it’s the classic kid’s board game favorite clue, but when you look for clues you have to fight the others and eventually fight and subdue the killer.  But it would be a board game, and the fight engine would be called during investigation and arrest.  I need to see if you guys think this would be a capstone worthy idea.
Blog link:
http://awesomekyzoku.blogspot.com/2012/09/rules-and-ideas-for-battle-clue-idea-3.html

21 comments:

  1. Stephanie Hii

    Hello, decided to comment since you’ve really put in a lot of thought into your capstone and wanted to give you some feedback.

    1st Idea: Would probably involve a lot of balancing/animations depending on attacks you want and what style the characters would fight with. But I can see your issue with the story. If you do decide to go this route, I’d advise against making the storyline revolve around a tournament since it’s a storyline that is fairly overdone in my opinion.

    2nd Idea: This would be pretty fun to play. Definitely this seems to be your best option since you already have the 2D fighting game engine finished as well as a preliminary set of characters. This would still be a great old-school game that you can do just a level of.

    3rd idea: This I’m guessing would require a lot of programming but I really like the multiplayer idea. However, you do want to be mindful that longer games might not be played through all the way, so possibly make it so the rounds are shorter? As for the movement system, dice would seem to work the best. Like you said, luck would make the game more dramatic. Overall seems like an interesting concept but the rules still seem a bit unclear to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree on the tournament!

      (and i grew up with those kinds of games)

      I'm not entirely opposed to a tournament, but it's generally the types of fighters, that kill, or define the story (A guy in a jaguar mask, or a greased up wrestler, or the bored/ rich/ student/ girl character usually puts a nail in a coffin in the seriousness of a story)

      I would love to be able to a 4-player multi game. Problem is getting flash to talk to a server, I have been looking at solutions, but I haven't found one yet. I'd need a server to host the game,, and a language like php, to talk to other people in the game, and SQL to hold some data. It's a work in prog :/

      I noticed that on your post that you used RUBY for programming your game. Any particular reason? Like .xna has pre-made toolsets that allow non programmers to build games for x-box. I was just curious.

      Delete
    2. Well the programmers that I are in contact with prefer using Ruby. Since I'm mainly doing visuals ... doesn't really matter to me as long as it's functional...

      If I did all the coding, I'm pretty sure I'd die from the amount I'm doing overall.

      Delete
  2. Cody Hansell

    For your second idea, I have a primitive thought that may give you something to build on, or may give you absolutely nothing. When I saw you say the idea was a side-scrolling beat em up, but that goes against your philosophy of a simple, traditional fighting game, I started thinking of how you could possibly combine the two. I went back to thinking how a friend and I used to play any co-op games with friendly fire (be it FPS, fighting, or whatever). We would work together for so long, until one accidentally hit the other, then it would turn into "You bastard! You shot me!" and we would degrade into fighting for several minutes to an hour coming up with new ways to kill each other. I understand that sounds like a friends-turning-into-enemies moment to most people, but since neither of us were competitive or held a grudge it was extremely fun.

    Now for your project, I was thinking maybe combine fighting with a sort of Zelda: The Four Swords feel where it's a competition for some resource. Two or more people work together to fight through a level to reach the end, but could also fight each other to take the others gold (or whatever...something to do with score or money). Maybe if you sit there and fight for so long enemies start to spawn more often and it makes the players have to move on, but continue to fight while doing so if they want to. But with this, you could include your idea for simple combos and counters that anyone could pull off, while still having a side scrolling beat em up game. I know this idea would probably be really hard to balance and implement, which is why I said it might not help you at all. Although since you probably know much more about fighting games than I do, I figured you may be able to take this primitive idea and make it into something that works, and if not, oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Actually I thought about that. Ever play River City Ransom on NES, or Double Dragon or battle toads with Player 2b mode? That would actually pretty easy to do or include (Some people loathe that you can accidentally it each other). Just turn on a hit box on the other player >:).
      That would take a bit of effort and a bit of programming, but I can make an overhead level. the other part of the equation is the multi player ... one two players is fine, but three or four, you need to hook computers together and have them talk to each other with php and SQL. If there's any programmers out there, I'd love to hear from you guys to see how plausible something like that would be.
      (Or even a weblink that shows me how would be appreciated)
      A slug fest demo level, instead of an entire game (as Stephanie suggested sounds interesting)

      Delete
  3. Andrew Lowery

    I don't think the story is quite a big deal as you make it out to be in a fighting game. I think what draws people in most of the time is the fighting mechanics. What kind of fighting game are you going to make. Is it going to be realistic. What (in theory) is going to make the fighting in this game better then others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bekah Crowmer


    ..balls... where do i post?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fighting game? fun! Though the success is probably going to depend on your level of coding and balance. Love to discuss it with you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting :)
plz check out:
http://cs.iupui.edu/~whjohnso/awesomesauce/index.html

and support a student